Based on the information we have, we'll automatically adjust your performance ratings, or remove Feedback in some situations. You can also request a manual adjustment if you have additional information, such as tracking data showing that an item was delivered, that illustrates that you weren't at fault when something went wrong. For more details on when we adjust ratings or remove feedback, please see our full policy guidelines below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you measure my seller performance?
We measure seller performance using data from your seller account on your defect rate, late shipment rate, and cases closed without you resolving them.
What kinds of defects can be removed, and how?
We automatically remove defects in certain situations, including where we find the buyer was at fault, if the problem was caused by an eBay site issue, or if there was an issue outside of your control like postage service delays, or items being delayed because of an extreme weather event.
If you've had a defect removed for any of the reasons mentioned above, please note it can take up to two days for your ratings to be adjusted.
Read our full policy
Seller performance and defect removal policy overview
Most sales go smoothly. When you follow selling best practices and make sure the items you list are in stock, you work with a customer when an issue arises and you send items within your stated handling time, your buyers will have a great experience and are more likely to buy from you again.
Occasionally, there may be an issue with a transaction. When certain transaction problems happen, you can track them in your Seller Dashboard.
This policy outlines when we adjust your seller performance evaluation and Feedback.
How is selling performance measured?
Seller standards focus on what matters most to buyers – getting the item they ordered on time, and effective customer service to resolve any requests for help.
This is measured in three metrics:
- Defect rate
- Late shipment rate
- Cases closed without seller resolution
Learn more about seller performance standards.
Can defects, late shipments or Feedback be appealed?
We automatically remove defects, adjust your late shipment rate and remove Feedback in the instances described in the guidelines below.
Things to keep in mind:
- Automatic adjustments happen daily, but please allow up to two days for them to show in your Seller Dashboard or your Feedback profile.
- Appeals aren't considered if tracking shows the item is still in transit, if there is an open eBay Money Back Guarantee request or a refund hasn't been issued for a returned item.
- You may qualify for automatic 5-star detailed seller ratings and other protections outlined in the Seller protection policy.
Sellers who violate our policies or are found to be manipulating our seller performance standards may be subject to a range of actions, including the reinstatement of previously removed defects, Feedback and late shipments; ineligibility for further removal of defects, Feedback or late shipments; limits on buying and selling privileges; and account suspension.
We automatically remove defects, adjust your late shipment rate and remove Feedback when:
- The buyer didn't pay for a purchase and an unpaid item case is recorded against the buyer.
- The defect, Feedback or late shipment was the direct result of an eBay site issue or program error.
- The delivery estimate shown in the listing was shortened, but tracking shows the item was delivered by the carrier's longest delivery estimate.
- We take action against a buyer for violating the Abusive buyer policy.
- We take action to close an eBay Money Back Guarantee case or appeal request in favour of the seller.
- We instruct you to hold a shipment or take action to cancel the transaction.
- We can determine through valid tracking that the defect, Feedback or late shipment was the direct result of systemic delays in delivery or communication. Examples include wide-scale postal service delays, items stuck in customs or power outages due to extreme weather. Major delays and disruptions are often posted to our Announcement Board.
Not eligible for removal
The following scenarios aren't eligible for removal:
- We may remove a Feedback comment that violates eBay policy, such as containing profanity or links, but the Feedback rating or any defects aren't necessarily removed.
- Late shipment appeals for transactions without tracking to verify on-time order fulfilment or delivery.
There are some circumstances where a defect, Feedback or late shipment can be manually reviewed. Sellers may appeal in these cases, but must make the request within 90 days of the transaction.
- You upload tracking, prior to the defect occurring, that confirms the item was sent within the handling time or the item was delivered by the estimated delivery date, but the late shipment rate wasn't automatically updated because the tracking isn't integrated with eBay
- In cases where there is an attempted delivery, we consider this "delivered" for the purposes of adjusting late shipment rate or removing Feedback.
- The Feedback comment contained inappropriate content (such as profanity) as described in our Member-to-member contact policy. While inappropriate comments will be removed, the rating will remain.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We adjust seller performance metrics when we have objective information available in our system, or through carrier tracking that shows the seller fulfilled all elements of the transaction and the defect, Feedback or late shipment was not accurate.