From time to time, we may place a buying limit or restriction on an account. This is to encourage responsible buying, and to keep our marketplace safe for buyers and sellers.
A buying limit means you won't be able to buy any more items until you complete your current purchases and orders.
If your buying activities have been limited, it may be because:
- You're new to the site, and are making a lot of purchases or buying expensive items
- You've suddenly and significantly increased your bidding or buying activity
- You have an excessive number of unpaid items or cancelled orders because you didn't pay on your account
- You're the highest bidder on a number of auctions, but haven't paid for any items yet
The best way to avoid buyer restrictions is to familiarise yourself with eBay's buying policies.
Removing buying limits
If your buying activities have been limited, we'll send you an email explaining why, and what you need to do to have the limits removed. For example, we may need you to confirm that you're completing purchases that you've bid on.
Avoiding buying limits
Buying limits are very rarely applied, but here are some tips to help you avoid them:
- Only bid on or buy items you plan to pay for
- Pay for items as soon as possible
- Improve your Feedback profile by paying promptly and leaving Feedback for sellers
- Verify your identity by adding a credit card as a payment method to your account
To add a credit card to your account:
- Select Personal information - opens in new window or tab.
- Select Edit under Financial Information.
- Enter your credit card details and choose Continue.
You may be charged a small amount to authorise the account, but this will be refunded within 10 days.
A buying restriction means you won't be able to make any purchases on eBay. It is usually placed on an account due to a possible policy violation.
If you have a buying restriction on your account, you won't be able to buy items or bid on auctions until the issue is resolved.
Why are buying restrictions applied?
Generally, restrictions are applied when it appears you might be violating our site policies. Buying restrictions can be applied to your account if:
- You have multiple accounts, and one or more has a buying restriction already placed on it
- Your account is under review for other policy violations
Removing buying restrictions
If you receive a restriction, you'll receive an email as well as a message in My eBay - opens in new window or tab explaining why it was applied, and what you need to do to have it removed.