On any item where a seller accepts PayPal, you can pay with Visa, Mastercard or Amex in eBay checkout. Each listing will show which payment methods a seller accepts, and you can always contact the seller if you have any questions.
How to pay with a credit or debit card
Here's how to pay for an eBay purchase using a card:
- On the checkout page, choose Credit or debit card, and enter your card details.
- Select Remember this card for future orders if you'd like us to save the card details.
- Review your order, including postage. Then select Confirm and pay.
Updating a saved credit or debit card
You can update your credit or debit card information at any time:
- Go to the Account - opens in new window or tab section of My eBay, then select Personal Information.
- In the Financial Information section, under Checkout saved payment methods, select Edit next to the credit or debit card you want to change.
- Enter your updated information, and select Continue.
- After reading the Credit or Debit Card Usage Agreement, choose Authorise credit card or Authorise debit card.
Troubleshooting card payment issues
If you're having trouble paying with a credit or debit card, check the following:
- The card details are correct – Make sure that all details, such as the card number, expiry date and CVV code, are entered correctly, and check that the name and billing addresses are exactly as they appear on your card statement.
- The card is not expired, and has been activated – If your card is out of date, it will be declined. If you're using a new card for the first time, make sure it has been activated. If you're not sure how to activate your card, contact your card issuer.
- You have insufficient funds – If you don't have enough credit or funds to cover the cost of your order, your payment may be declined. Your payments may also be declined if you've reached your daily transaction limit.
- Browser issues – You may be using an older web browser that isn't secure enough for making payments or managing your payment methods. You'll need to update your browser in order to complete your purchase. For more information on keeping your browser up-to-date, see our Technical issues article.
If these troubleshooting steps don't resolve your issue, we recommend trying a different payment method, or contacting your card provider for further assistance.