In most cases, holds are lifted when a buyer confirms they've received their item or when a case is resolved.
To check the date when a payment is expected to be available, select the button below:
To help ensure eBay remains a safe place to buy and sell, and to meet our legal and compliance obligations - opens in new window or tab, a temporary hold may sometimes be placed on funds, for example, if there's an open case or dispute on a transaction, if your buyer reports a problem with the order, if your account is restricted or suspended, if you owe eBay money, or if you're a new or infrequent seller. If a hold was placed on your funds, we'll notify you by email and, depending on the reason, may request additional information from you to help resolve the issue.
Types of holds
There are various reasons why a hold may be placed on your funds.
Transaction holds are when a hold is placed on funds related to a particular buyer transaction. The funds on hold may be used to refund the buyer for the same transaction.
While proceeds from your sales typically become available within 2 days of confirming the buyer's payment, a transaction hold may be placed on funds while we wait to confirm that an item has been successfully delivered to a buyer. To reduce the likelihood of a transaction hold, we recommend posting an item the same day your buyer pays for it and following good postage practices, such as adding tracking information to your order.
If a hold is placed on your funds, it will usually be resolved within 30 days. For most orders, adding tracking information can help you receive your funds faster. eBay does not earn interest on held funds.
Additionally, a transaction hold may be placed on funds depending on your seller status or the category you're selling in:
- New or infrequent sellers will experience transaction holds while we confirm that their items have been successfully delivered. This helps sellers become established and build a strong selling history on eBay. In limited circumstances, new sellers may experience holds for up to 21 days
- Previously restricted or suspended sellers will experience transaction holds for the 30 days after the restriction or suspension is lifted, while we confirm that the items have been successfully delivered
- High priced items or unusual selling patterns may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days to help us ensure that buyers don't have any issues with the order
- The authentication process may lead to transaction holds for up to 30 days until the authenticity of items sold with eBay's Authenticity Guarantee can be confirmed
- Sellers who are not meeting eBay's seller performance standards may have funds from their orders placed on hold until a tracking scan from the carrier shows that the item is on its way to the buyer
- This applies to sellers whose seller performance level is rated Below Standard or have a Very High rating for 'Item not received' reports in their service metrics
- If no valid tracking is uploaded, funds will be held until 3 days after the latest estimated delivery date has passed
- Holds won't apply to orders where the selected delivery option was local pickup, Click & Collect from the retailer, or the Australia Post Domestic Regular Letter Untracked service
Payment dispute or eBay Money Back Guarantee holds
Payment dispute or eBay Money Back Guarantee holds are when a hold is placed on funds related to a problem reported by a buyer.
For example, if a buyer reports that an item hasn't arrived, or the item they received is significantly different from the listing description, we hold funds until the case is resolved and closed. For more information, see our article on best practices for avoiding and handling issues with buyers.
The funds on hold may be used to refund the buyer for the same transaction.
Payout holds are when a hold is placed on funds payable to a particular seller, and usually require further seller action on the account.
- Registration holds: Payouts may be held if we identify a discrepancy with the information you provided at registration. If your account is restricted, we'll notify you by email with a request for additional information. For more information on how to verify your identity, see our article on registering as a seller
- Compliance holds: eBay maintains policies and procedures to protect buyers and sellers while complying with applicable laws - opens in new window or tab. If your account has a payout hold or restriction for compliance reasons, we'll notify you by email and may request additional information from you
- Performance holds: Payouts are held if we identify unusual activity associated with your account, such as increased customer claims, a sudden change in your selling activity, late deliveries, or negative buyer Feedback
- Invalid payment method: Payouts may be put on hold if we can't deduct your selling fees and other costs from any of your on-file payment methods. In this case, you'll need to add another payment method