With the immediate payment option on eBay, a listing is still available until a buyer has completed the purchase. This is especially useful when you're selling time-sensitive items, like tickets to a concert or sporting event.
How Best Match works
Our Best Match algorithm – the formula eBay uses to sort listings – considers a number of different factors. These include:
- How closely the listing matches the buyer's search terms
- How popular the item is
- The price of the item
- The quality of your listing – description, photos, and so on
- How complete the listing is
- The listing terms of service, such as your return policy and handling time
- Your track record as a seller
How to optimise for Best Match
There's no secret to improving your position in the Best Match sort order. Sellers who follow best listing and selling practices will see their items appear higher in the search results.
Start by offering competitive prices, reasonable postage, and great customer service. Here are some more recommendations for improving your Best Match ranking.
Create complete and accurate listings
The more we know about your item, the better we can match it to buyer searches.
- Write a clear and concise title with correct spelling and no more than 80 characters
- Add an accurate description, using product details from the eBay catalogue wherever you can
- Use high-quality photos, taken from every angle, and show any flaws or scratches. You can include up to 12 pictures for free
Select the right selling format
Use auction-style format when:
- You're not sure of the value of your item and want to sell it quickly
- Your item is unique or hard-to-find
Use fixed price format when you:
- Know the value of your item or the price you want to get for it
- Have multiple items that you can group into a multi-quantity or multi-variation listing
- Have a lot of inventory and want to minimise your insertion fees
- Want your items to show up to buyers for more than 10 days
List in the right category
Pick the category that's most relevant for your item. Learn more about our different categories.
Provide all your selling terms
Make sure that your terms and conditions of sale are clear. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Include postage and handling costs, accepted payment methods, and your return policy
- Clearly specify any international limits to your return policy or warranties
Keep a positive selling history
Read our seller performance policy to make sure you know how to give your customers the best service possible.
You'll find detailed metrics to help you improve your business performance in the Performance section of Seller Hub.
To improve your Best Match ranking, start by offering competitive prices, reasonable postage and great customer service.
See other articles in:
You might also be interested in: