By setting up postage rules you can automatically apply a discount to the postage cost when a buyer purchases multiple items, or even offer savings on postage as a promotional tool in your listings.
How postage discounts work
You can offer postage discounts to buyers who buy more than one item from you, but first, you need to opt in to offering combined postage. You can then set up rules that automatically apply to the postage cost when someone buys multiple items.
Depending on whether you offer a flat postage rate, or are using calculated postage, these discounts work slightly differently.
Here's how to check that combined payments are enabled on your account:
- On the Manage postage settings - opens in new window or tab page, select Edit beside Allow combined payments and postage.
- Choose the time period during which you're willing to combine payment for purchased items and select Save.
Flat rate postage rules
If you're offering a flat rate postage cost, where all buyers pay the same amount, you can apply two different types of postage rules:
- Add a fixed amount for each additional item purchased. For example, if the postage cost on the first item is $5 you could choose to charge just $2 in postage for each additional purchase
- Subtract an amount from the postage charge for each additional item purchased. In the same example as above you could choose to charge $1 less than the initial postage (i.e., $4) for each additional purchase
Here's how to create a flat postage rule:
- On the Manage postage settings - opens in new window or tab page, select Edit beside Flat postage rule.
- From the dropdown menu, choose whether to add or subtract an amount for each additional item purchased.
- Enter the amount to add/subtract.
- Select Save.
Calculated postage rules
If you're offering a calculated postage cost (where the amount a buyer pays varies based on their location), you can apply rules for combining items into a single package:
- Automatically combine the weights of all the items in one package. For example, if a buyer purchases 3 items that weigh 500g each, you can set up a rule that charges postage for a single 1.5kg package
- Automatically combine the weights of the items in one package and subtract a weight amount (in grams). For example, if a buyer purchases 3 items that weigh 500g each, you can set up a rule that combines the items in one 1.5kg package, and automatically deducts 300g from the total weight
To create calculated postage rules:
- On the Manage postage settings - opens in new window or tab page, select Edit beside Calculated postage rule.
- Choose either Combine all item weights, or Combine all item weights and subtract an amount.
- Select Next, then specify a rule for your handling costs from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the amount to be added or subtracted for each additional item, then Save.
Promotional postage discount rules
While flat rate and calculated postage rules are applied when a buyer goes through checkout, you can also use postage rules as a promotional tool to help attract additional buyers.
With promotional postage discounts, you can create a rule that offers your buyers a discount based on the conditions you set. For example, buyers will be charged no more than $5 for postage if they buy more than one item. Or, buyers will qualify for free postage if they spend more than $25.
Buyers will be able to see these discounts highlighted in your listings.
Here's how to set up a promotional postage discount:
- On the Manage postage settings - opens in new window or tab page, select Edit beside Promotional postage rule.
- Fill in your conditions and select Save.
Make sure you've applied combined postage rules to all listings where you want to offer a discount.
How to apply postage discount rules to your listings
For buyers to receive your postage discounts, you need to apply your rules to the relevant listings. You can do this when creating or editing a listing, or using business policies.
Here's how to apply a postage discount rule when listing an item:
- In the advanced listing tool, go to the Postage section.
- Select Apply my promotional postage rule.
Here's how to apply a postage discount rule to an existing listing:
- Go to your Active listings - opens in new window or tab page.
- Select Revise next to the listing you want to edit.
- In the Postage section, select Apply my promotional postage rule.
Here's how to apply a postage discount rule to multiple listings:
- Go to your Business policies - opens in new window or tab.
- Select the postage policy you want to edit.
- Select the rule(s) you want to apply under Combined postage discounts.
- Select Save.
The postage discounts will then be applied to all listings with that postage policy.